7 out of the 8 PA medical schools have been approved to conduct research on marijuana.
Drexel, Temple, Penn State, Thomas Jefferson, UPenn, LECOM, PCOM, UPitt*
What research will be conducted?
Penn State (partner: PA Options for Wellness): Penn State’s research includes developing a database to compare responses among patients’ medical conditions approved for marijuana use, double-blind clinical trials, and cell cultures/animal studies to explore dosage and various combinations of marijuana’s known active compounds.
Thomas Jefferson (partner: MLH Explorations LLC)Research will follow patients with qualifying conditions for one year to assess the effects of cannabis on their disease-related symptoms, overall quality of life and changes in other medication use as a result of initiation of cannabis-based therapy.
Drexel University (partner: Agronomed Biologics LLC) Exploring the possibility of cannabis use on serious medical conditions and symptoms not currently being researched & examining the effectiveness of cannabis for qualifying conditions.
Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) (partner: CannTech PA)Study how medical cannabis use can change patients’ patterns of opioid use.
All other schools have yet to publicly announce research.
University name | Cannabis Company partnership
- Drexel University College of Medicine | Clinical Registrant: Agronomed Biologics LLC
- Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University | Clinical Registrant: Laurel Harvest Labs LLC
- Penn State College of Medicine | Clinical Registrant: PA Options for Wellness Inc.
- Sidney Kimmel Medical College at Thomas Jefferson University | Clinical Registrant: MLH Explorations LLC
- The Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania | Clinical Registrant: Curaleaf PA LLC
- Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine | Clinical Registrant: CannTech PA LLC
- Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine | Clinical Registrant: Organic Remedies Inc.
- *Other: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine | Clinical Registrant: Parallel (seeking approval – estimated late March)
Author: David Katz | DavidKatz@cox.net
Link: (click me) PA Department of Health announcement of clinical registrants